Ishmail is an Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences at the Zuckerman Mind Brain Behavior Institute at Columbia University. From 2018-2021, he was Mitchell J. and Margo K. Blutt Presidential Assistant Professor in the Department of Biology at the University of Pennsylvania. Ishmail received a B.S. in Animal Science at North Carolina A&T University in 2006 and a Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biology from the University of Pennsylvania in 2012, advised by Meera Sundaram. From 2012-2018 Ishmail was postdoctoral fellow at Weill Cornell Medicine and University of Pennsylvania, advised by Benjamin Shykind and Wenqin Luo.
Selected Honors and Awards | curriculum vitae
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellowship (2021)
- Rita Allen Foundation Scholar, Award in Pain (2020)
- NIH Mitchell Max Award for Excellence in Pain Research (2018)
- NIH K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award (2017)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund PDEP Fellowship (2015)